Social media, access to information (right or wrong) and changing politics has turned us all into critics. Everyone is giving their opinion which they are free to do so and abusing others for their opinion publicly depending on which side they are on which I don’t know how they will justify. As far as this piece, I know I am giving my opinion as well and turning into a critic and for that call me a HYPOCRITE. Along with all the social change, one thing I am fed of is the logic being used to justify or going against certain changes, bringing references to Indian army in every possible scenario and running away from ground reality. We have created a bubble around us and no one accepts to be in it until they will fall on their face after the bubble burst.
The situation is not that different in case of a very strong step taken by our PM, “DEMONETIZATION”. Aiming to take a step towards stalling black money growth, it certainly was a huge step and bold move. The thought appeared to be with very good intentions. Personally I appreciate the step. It will make sure that if not all the owners of black money stocks, at least the people who have been invading taxes on their income get penalized for it. The ripple was obvious as it brought tsunami for many, they stared getting rid of the demonetized notes by just throwing it away, shredding it or put their workers in charge for converting some of their black to white which they can keep as black again.
However the step also appears to be politically motivated as it brought a storm for oppositions prior to Uttar Pradesh and Punjab election. However, for me this is not the main concern. Aside to all the tremor it brought, Let us focus on ground which lights up on the fact that this is such an unplanned planned step.
- Lot of villages in Bihar, UP, Bengal and other northeast state have still small access to bank and ATM’s forget online banking. My own village has only 1 banks in around 20 km radius. Most of the villagers rely on cash for all the transaction and to get cash of 2000 or 4500 they have to travel for such distance. Farmers, villagers and housewives of semi urban cities life have been tormented by this sudden change and we should not deny this.
- This is prime time for agriculture and it has been hit hard. Farmers were about to start sowing wheat and maze and prepare beds for paddy season and the need of cash is something none of us can ignore. Yes government is recent change have stepped up the limit for farmers but when every day is crucial framers are queuing up in banks for days to fulfill their monetary need.
- Prime wedding season has also felt the tremor for obvious reasons. While for many it can be a small worry as they have access to online shopping, online payment but a huge population are still unknown to these ways of life. It has taken them a while to plan and execute weddings, collect and loan money and the whole planning going in vain can give anyone a heart attack.
- Genuine patients and their families for whom time and money both are crucial are vulnerable to this sudden change. While most part of India government medical institutions are not very reliable and private institution are not taking the old money. Many of those money was saved over a long time and this step has put them in very tough situation. This is evident from some of the deaths occurred in last few weeks.
If I say that a great plan but with very bad execution and if not bad execution than at least a very bad timing, many of us will agree.
Now the other issue comes when many of us are trying to justify the step and problems incurred due to the change. STOP bringing army, country into everything. I have read statements like
- If army can stand at border for all day long why can’t you,
- If you say I don’t have black money why should I get troubled than why army should die for you if they don’t have any relation to you and others.
While the service they are providing is commendable and I salute them for that, one should not use them as an example for every situation. As well as it was them who selected to be an army member as their career and they are getting paid for it. I absolutely salute their courage and determination but that should not be used as an example every time to demolish ones opinion.
A lot has been said about the impact on economics and politics so I won’t go into all that but one thing government will face backlash on is the deaths ( patients, farmers and suicides) occurred due to all this and nothing can justify that. Not even the saying that it was all for good cause.